- Our Town
Prescribed burns planned near Burns Lake
The B.C. Wildfire Service is planning to conduct two prescribed burns in the Northwest Fire Centre beginning on April 19, weather permitting.
Smoke from these controlled fires may be visible from the nearby communities of Hazelton and Southbank, and along Hwy. 16.
The decision on when to proceed with these burns will depend on weather and site conditions. Such burns are only conducted when conditions are suitable and will allow for quick smoke dissipation.
The two prescribed burns will occur in the following areas:
Upper Kispiox Recreation Site in the Skeena Stikine Forest District
- This fire will cover two hectares at the 41-km mark on the Kispiox Valley Road.
- This prescribed burn will be conducted by B.C. Wildfire Service crews. It will reduce the amount of brush encroaching on the site and will help meet fuel management objectives in the area.
Uncha Mountain Red Hills Provincial Park in the Nadina Fire Zone
- This fire will cover four hectares in the Red Hills area of the park, on the north side of François Lake.
- This area has been part of an ecosystem research study since 2008.
- BC Wildfire Service crews will help restore natural grassland areas and reduce the encroachment of aspen trees into those areas.
- The hiking trail next to the burn site will be closed on the day the burn takes place.