Rhoda Williams

Rhoda Williams

Successful day for Rhoda Williams

Mother of four received a new liver while her family was doing a fundraiser.

In the story ‘Burns Lake resident runs to help family stay together’ published in the Lakes District News’ June 3, 2015, http://www.ldnews.net/community/305903161.html?c=n, Wendy Brown was planning to run from Francois Lake to Burns Lake to raise funds for her cousin Rhoda Williams, who was in Vancouver waiting for a liver transplant.

Last week, Williams was sent to Prince George while she waited for a liver donor. Soon after she arrived in Prince George, she had to return to Vancouver because specialists had found a perfect donor match.

While her cousin Brown was completing the run from Francois Lake to Burns Lake on June 7, Williams was at the Vancouver General Hospital receiving a new liver.

“It was a very emotional day because as we were doing the fundraising [in Burns Lake], Rhoda was having her liver transplant surgery at the same time,” said Brown.

Brown completed the 23-km journey accompanied by 10-year-old Ashley. She said the experience was incredible.

“It was heartwarming to see so many families waiting to cheer us on from the bottom of Hoppers Hill into the Spirit Square,” she said. “There was a lot of honking as people drove by us, and Moose FM aired it live after driving by us on the road.”

After the run, family members and supporters gathered at Spirit Square for a barbecue.

“A lot of people came down to the barbecue,” said Brown.

“The fundraiser for Rhoda was a big success,” said William’s sister Berg.

The family was able to raise $1324 to help Williams’ family stay close to her while she recovers from the liver transplant surgery.

“People are still donating,” said Berg. “We are doing it [fundraising] so Rhoda can heal faster with her boys and husband nearby, and be home sooner.”

By the time the fundraiser was finished, the family received a call saying Williams made it through the surgery and was in stable conditions. Currently, Williams is at the Vancouver General Hospital where she will be monitored for four more weeks.

“Rhoda is striving to get well so she can become a mom again and a wife,” said Berg. “She is feeling blessed to have been given a second chance; she wants to do everything she can to help others.”

Brown said her family is thankful for all the support they have received from the community.

“The result is that Rhoda has her family at her side like she wanted,” she said.” Most importantly, she received a liver and will soon get to go home to be a strong loving wife, mother, daughter, sister, niece, aunt, cousin, neighbour and best friend.”

“It was a great day.”