Trout Creek Hall renos completed

More than a hundred community members made their way to last weekend’s official grand opening of the hall with its new renovations in place.

The Trout Creek Hall with its recently completed new roof has stood the test of time since the first roof was put on in 1932.

The Trout Creek Hall with its recently completed new roof has stood the test of time since the first roof was put on in 1932.

Anyone who has made the drive out to Trout Creek Hall knows where it is. Anyone who’s making the drive for the first time can’t help but worry that he or she must have missed it along the way.

Rest assured, you can’t miss it. It’s your first right after Trout Creek Road, about 40 kms of beautiful shoreline, driving westward along Francois Lake on Colleymount Road from the Southside Ferry landing.

The building has gone through a number of renovations since it was built in 1932. The past year has seen much renovation activity thanks to helpful Nechako Kitamaat Development Fund (NKDF) dollars, grants from the Regional District of Bulkley Nechako, and countless volunteer hours and fund raising.

More than a hundred community members made their way to last weekend’s official grand opening of the hall with its new renovations in place.

A new roof and expanded kitchen were the biggest improvements completed this year. The kitchen will allow the facility to be more desirable for hall rentals, and the new roof means no more water collecting buckets at the New Year’s dance.

The walls of the hall are lined with photographs going back to the earliest days of settlers in the area. This year, the Colleymount Recreation Commission has released a glossy catalogue of those photos, complete with caption information and some interesting area history of life at the west end of Francois Lake.

Beef ranchers and farmers have quietly worked the land out there for more than 100 years, more years than Burns Lake itself has under its belt.