B.C. labour market outlook forecasts one million job openings by 2022

Quick Facts: From 2012 to 2022, 985,100 job openings are expected in the B.C. labour market.

Labour market projections contained in the British Columbia Labour Market Outlook indicate there will be more than one million job openings in B.C. over the next decade. The updated data also provides a strong foundation for ensuring that skills training decisions made through the BC Jobs Plan and B.C.’s Skills for Jobs Blueprint are aligned with the needs of B.C.’s labour market and key sectors of our growing economy, including liquefied natural gas.

According to the Outlook, job openings are driven by a combination of trends  – 68 per cent of job openings are expected due to retirements, and the remaining 32 per cent  as a result of economic growth. Retirements are driving job openings across  all occupations while economic growth is boosting openings in occupations like skilled trades.

This year, with anticipated investment and activity related to B.C.’s LNG sector, a supplementary analysis from the 2014 British Columbia LNG Workforce Occupation Forecast has been added to the Outlook to provide additional context on the labour requirements of LNG development through 2023.

Quick Facts: From 2012 to 2022, 985,100 job openings are expected in the B.C. labour market. A scenario with five LNG plants operating in B.C. would add an  additional 100,000 jobs by 2023.

More than three-quarters (78 per cent) of the forecasted job openings will require post-secondary education and training, and 44 per cent will require a college diploma or trade certificate.

B.C.’s three largest regions by population- Mainland/Southwest, Vancouver  Island/Coast and Thompson Okanagan – are expected to account for 90 per cent of job openings between now and 2022.

The Northeast, North Coast and Nechako regions, while more sparsely populated, are expected to have the highest annual demand growth based on new economic activity.

 

Just Posted

Nearly $500,000 available for internships with First Nations government

Funds announced through partnership with Northern Development and Government of Canada

Burns Lake council takes action on housing issue

Council plans to invite several agencies to a meeting

Burns Lake athletes bring home gold

Cole Bender and Nicole Hamp stand out in Whistler

Burns Lake supports Nechako Watershed

Council has approved funding to help implement watershed strategies

Four influenza outbreaks in long-term care facilities in northern B.C. so far

Influenza season is bringing two predominant strains

Initiation tournament in Burns Lake

The littlest Burns Lake Bruins hosted a tournament at the Tom Forsyth… Continue reading

High-end whisky seized in B.C. bar raids

Raids end in seizures at Victoria, Nanaimo and Vancouver whisky joints

Double-doubles and demonstrations: Employees rally outside Tim Hortons

Protests held in response to Ontario franchise owners cutting employee benefits and breaks

Train derails in Northwest B.C.

CN reports no injuries or dangerous goods involved after coal train derailment.

Las Vegas shooter acted alone, exact motive still undetermined: Sheriff

Stephen Paddock was behind the gunfire that killed 58 people including two Canadians

Botox, bomb shelters, and the blues: one year into Trump presidency

A look into life in Washington since Trump’s inauguration

Christopher Garnier appealing murder conviction in death of off-duty cop

Jury found Garnier guilty in December, rejecting his claim she died accidentally during rough sex

Transportation watchdog must revisit air passenger obesity complaint

Canadian Transportation Agency must take new look at Gabor Lukacs’ complaint against Delta Air Lines

Gas plants verdict coming down today; ex-premier’s top aides to learn fate

Verdict to be delivered on senior staff to former Ontario premier Dalton McGuinty

Most Read