Although the Lakes District Food Bank needs $54,000 a year, it has received $19,793 since April 1. (Lakes District News file photo)

Lakes District Food Bank needs donations

“If we don’t receive enough donations, we will have to cut back”

The Lakes District Food Bank is still far from reaching its donation goals before the end of the year.

Although the goal for the Holiday Spirit Funding Drive is $32,000, as of Friday the food bank had received $10,800.

READ MORE: Holiday campaigns in full swing in Burns Lake

Looking at the annual donation needs, although $54,000 is needed every year, the food bank has received $19,793 since April 1.

“If we don’t receive enough donations to continue the existing services, we will have to cut back, and this will leave people with very little access to food security,” explained food bank coordinator Candice Little.

According to Little, the food bank’s recent achievements may have given the community the perception that the organization doing “too well.”

“The food bank is doing well from a programming perspective through the generous contributions from the Village of Burns Lake, Food Banks Canada and Food Banks BC,” she said. “However, we need to be clear that these grants and contributions to our program doesn’t mean that we don’t need the support of our community in the same way we have in past years.”

The Village of Burns Lake has recently donated a building to the food bank while Food Banks Canada and Food Banks BC have contributed with grants. These grants have allowed the food bank to improve its refrigeration, increasing the storage capacity for perishable food items.

“Although these opportunities have greatly improved our programs and the service we are able to provide, it doesn’t provide the food items that we need to feed hungry families, nor the money to buy this food,” said Little. “These donations literally provide the meat and potatoes of our program.”

Every year the food bank receives a gaming grant that covers approximately 58 per cent of their annual funding. This means that the organization depends on community donations for the remaining 42 per cent.

“While we focus on a funding drive during this holiday season, our programs run throughout the year,” added Little. “Ongoing, regular donations would ensure that we have the money to buy the groceries needed to provide food security to those in need.”

The easiest way to donate to the food bank is through e-transfer to clittle.ldfes@gmail.com. Otherwise, cheques can be mailed to Box 777, Burns Lake, B.C., or dropped off at the Lakes District Family Enhancement Society office in room 118 in the College of New Caledonia building.


 

@flavio_nienow
newsroom@ldnews.net

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Just Posted

Christmas lights burned out? Recycle them

This time of year, residents in Burns Lake are unboxing their Christmas… Continue reading

It’s ski time in Burns Lake

Volunteers have been working non-stop on the G2 and has set tracks… Continue reading

Petition calls for appeal of Luke Strimbold’s sentence for sex assault

Prosecution service says the former Burns Lake mayor’s case is under review

Northwest B.C. wildlife shelter rescues particularly tiny bear cub

Shelter co-founder says the cub weighs less than a third of what it should at this time of year

Former Burns Lake mayor gets two years for sexual assaults against minors

Banned from taking work involving young people for five years

VIDEO: Federal Liberals’ throne speech welcomes opposition’s ideas

Trudeau will need NDP or Bloc support to pass legislation and survive confidence votes

VIDEO: John Lennon’s iconic Rolls Royce rolls into Vancouver Island college for checkup

Royal BC Museum, Camosun College and Coachwerks Restorations come together to care for car

VIDEO: Rockslide closes part of Highway 93 in Fairmont Hot Springs

Geotechnical team called in to do an assessment after rocks fell from hoodoos

BC firefighters to help battle Australian bushfires

Canada sent 22 people, including 7 from B.C.

B.C. NDP touts the end of MSP premiums

Horgan, James held news conference to reiterate that people will get their last bill this month

Illicit drug deaths down, but B.C. coroner says thousands still overdose

Chief coroner Life Lapointe says province’s drug supply remains unpredictable

Trustees ask for more help after tearful meeting on B.C. school’s ‘toxic’ stench

Enforcement has ‘no teeth,’ school trustee says, while kids become sick

One of B.C’s last surviving strip clubs baring all again for Christmas charity

25th annual event is Sunday and raises money for the Maple Ridge-Pitt Meadows Christmas Hamper Society.

University of Victoria researchers develop industry-changing ‘hyper-glue’

‘Cross-linking’ technology already playing a role in performance body armour

Most Read