On Monday, June 2, the trial of Cody Legebokoff, the 24-year-old accused of killing four women in the Prince George-Vanderhoof area began.
Legebokoff, a Fort St. James native, who was living in Prince George at the time of his arrest, is facing four first-degree murder charges in the deaths of 15-year-old Loren Leslie, 35-year-old Cynthia Maas, 35-year-old Jill Stuchenko and 23-year-old Natasha Montgomery.
All four were murdered between 2009-2010.
Leslie, a Fraser Lake native, was last seen Nov.27, 2010.
Her body was found that night by a conservation officer off of a remote logging road near Vanderhoof.
A RCMP officer had noticed Legebokoff’s truck suspiciously leave the remote road and pulled him over.
Blood was smeared on Legebokoff’s face and legs, as well as a pool of blood in his truck, and he told the RCMP officer he had been deer poaching.
It was then that the officer called the conservation officer and the body of Leslie was found.
Leslie died of head injuries and a loss of blood.
She had arranged to meet up with Legebokoff to buy alcohol over the social media website, Nexopia.
Stuchenko was reported missing Oct. 27, 2009, her body was found four days later in a gravel pit on the outskirts of Prince George.
Maas was reported missing Sept. 23, 2010, her body was found a few weeks later in a park in Prince George.
Montgomery was reported on Sept. 23, 2010, as well, her body has yet to be found.
Maas and Stuchenko both suffered blunt force trauma to their heads, along with other wounds, Crown counsel Joseph Temple told the court Monday.
Mass, Stuchenko and Montgomery were all known to have worked in the sex trade
The trial is expected to last six to eight months.