Triple homicide case adjourned again

The date for a preliminary inquiry in the case of Rueben Buhler was expected to be determined on Dec. 10, 2015.

In the story ‘Triple homicide case adjourned again’ published in the Lakes District News’ Oct. 28, 2015 edition, the date for a preliminary inquiry in the case of Rueben Buhler –  the man arrested in relation to a triple homicide in Burns Lake – was expected to be determined on Dec. 10, 2015.

However, the decision to set a date for the preliminary inquiry was postponed. In fact, this was the third time that this decision was postponed – Rueben Buhler had other two fixed dates on Sept. 9 and Oct. 14.

According to Crown spokesperson Neil, a “number of factors” have contributed to the time that has been needed to confirm a preliminary inquiry date, including a change in defence counsel and ongoing disclosure by the Crown of the evidence gathered by investigators in the case.

During the fixed date that took place at the Burns Lake Provincial Court on Dec. 10, another fixed date was set for Dec. 21, 2015.

“We anticipate that the situation with respect to the dates for a preliminary inquiry will be clearer following the next appearance on Dec. 21,” said MacKenzie.

Buhler’s lawyer Jordan Allingham was also contacted last week but did not respond to Lakes District News by press time. Back in September,

Allingham said that a preliminary inquiry date would likely be set for March 2016.

On April 27, 2015, at 8:25 a.m., the Burns Lake RCMP attended a residence in the 200 block of Fifth Avenue in Burns Lake after receiving a report of potential foul play. Neighbours said they heard gun shots ring out earlier that morning. When officers entered the residence, they found three people – one woman and two men – dead inside.

Buhler has been charged with three counts of second degree murder and remains in custody.