Frank Wiebe

Frank Wiebe

Frank Wiebe was born on November 30, 1943 in his home at Takysie Lake to George and Anna Wiebe. He was the second last child in a family of 13. He finished school with grade six and worked on the family farm and sawmill. At the age of 19 he had his first paying job, working for .75ยข an hour packing slabs. During this time Frank met Judy Bergen and they were married on February 20, 1965. They moved into a little shack at Uncha Lake where he worked at a local sawmill, and here they had their first two children, Wanda, and eleven and a half months later, Steven. In the Spring of 1968 they moved to Danskin, taking their small cabin from the logging camp with them. Their last child, Brian, was born in 1974, and during this time Frank bought his first machine, a TD9. He was working for Dave Loewen and with a lot of determination became foreman. Frank was always very grateful for the opportunity that Dave gave him. He took over Dave’s business and got his first contract on Ootsa Lake at Intata Reach with Eurocan. In 1975 Intata Logging became limited, and he began contracting for Babine Forest Products. Later that year the family made the official move to the north side, first living at a trailer court then buying their first house at Decker Lake, where they raised their children. Intata Logging kept him busy, but he managed to spend time boating and camping with his family, making lasting memories. The grandchildren that followed easily brought out the child in him. In 1986, Steven started working in the bush with his Dad, and over the next 19 years became his right hand man. In 1995 Frank bought an advanced ultra-lite. He needed a lake to land it on so they made the decision to build a new home on Decker Lake. He logged over 10,000 hours in his plane both in leisure and in observation of his logging and ranching operations. Landing on an isolated Lake, dropping in a line and watching unsuspecting wildlife, brought him great pleasure. His love of fishing wasn’t limited to small lakes; in 1990, off the coast of Hawaii, he fought a 343 lb Blue Marlin for about a hour and won. Intata Logging was sold in October 2004 after almost 30 years of operation. A year later on October 31, 2005 Frank met Jesus. He was quiet about his faith but had no doubts about God and His love. Woven into their lives was the Ranch at Takysie Lake, bought in December 1979. They lived there for a couple of years, but unfortunately, because of Frank’s work, could not make it their permanent home. The ranch was rented out until Brian moved there in the spring of 2000. For the next nine years Brian and his Dad worked side by side on the Ranch. Frank & Judy traveled extensively, but Hawaii was their favorite getaway. They had just returned from Maui two days before the tragedy. Frank loved working almost as much as playing, right up until his very sudden and untimely end. Among his many attributes was his smile and his laugh. Frank will be sadly missed by all who knew him.

A portion of a write-up about Frank by Ray Hennessy: “A Man Whom towards himself, was a severe critic, but Who displayed tolerance toward the debilities of his neighbour. Who properly understood how to estimate and employ his means. A Man Who, without courting applause, was admired by all who had the pleasure of his acquaitance. A Man respected by his superiors, and revered by his subordinates.”

He leaves to grieve:

His wife Judy of 44 years;

Children: Wanda, Steven, and Brian (Shirley);

Grandchildren: Christopher, Jaimee, Arielle, Sophie, Cobie, Aiden

Siblings: Helen Unruh, Pete (Agnes), Margaret Wiebe (Sister-in-law), John (Tena), Abe (Margaret), Ike (Deloris), Henry (Marilyn), Ben (Aggie), Willie, Anna.

Judy’s mother Agnes Bergen and Siblings: Frank (Ann), Marie Petkau, Johnny (Rose), Eva Giesbrecht, Pete, Bill (Marilyn).

As well as numerous nieces and nephews.

Predeceased by: Parents – George & Anna; Brothers – George and Jake; Sister – Mary and her husband John Fehr; Sister-in-law – Susie Wiebe; Father-in-law – Jake Bergen; Brothers-in-law – George Petkau, Garry Giesbrecht.

We are experiencing technical difficulties with our commenting platform and hope to be up and running again soon. In the meantime, you can still send us your thoughts on Facebook or Twitter, or submit a letter to the editor.