Elizabeth Margaret Saunders first, better known as “Peggy” was born on Nov. 12, 1916 in New Westminster to Lydia and Bill Saunders.
When Peggy, the second of two children, was five years old the family moved to the Lakes District. At an early age Peggy distinguished herself in athletic circles, twice winning the cross-country ski race for the Omineca Ski Club and the slalom race at Wells. When the Burns Lake ball team was short handed Peggy stepped out and played third base with a batting average of 300.
In 1938 Peggy finished her hairdressing training. This was the career that she followed all her working years. Peggy and Mel knew each other from Burns Lake and Prince Rupert where they both worked during World War II. Years passed and they were married on April 6, 1946 in Burns Lake where they lived for just over a year. They moved their little family to Prince Rupert. Their daughter Moira was six months old. Sandy was born two years later. Peggy stayed home with her family until the children were in school, then she decided to go back to work where she opened her own beauty shop called “The House of Beauty”. She worked there until 1970 when she and Mel decided to retire in the Lakes District.
Peggy inherited 160 acres from her father and this became Carnoustie Golf Course. It was Peggy and Mels’ dream that they made come true. It was 18 years from the start of their project until the time they retired; they were able to golf and enjoy their golf course.
Peggy was not able to live at home until the end. She spent four years at the Pines. Peggy was predeceased by her brother Clarence, and her husband Mel, who passed away June 11, 2002.
Mel Forbes passed away on June 11, 2002 after a short time in the hospital. He lived at his home until two weeks before his passing. James Melville Forbes, was born in New Hazelton on March 25, 1914. The only child of Elizabeth and Alexander “Sandy” Forbes. His father was a CNR employee and looked after the water towers from Prince Rupert to Prince George.
Mel and his parents lived in a caboose when he was very young. There was a story of this first nation woman wanting to trade her dog for Melville. Mel was put in boarding schools when he was old enough so he could get his education. He finished his schooling up to the grade 13 level. His work experience was a Tie Inspector in the interior of the province. During the war he worked in the shipyard in Prince Rupert. When he enlisted in the army he ended up as an office clerk, as his arm had been broken at the elbow, preventing him from going overseas. After the war he and Peggy were married. They owned a garage while they lived in Burns Lake. They moved to Prince Rupert where Mel became a partner in the “Arrow Bus line”. Years later Mel went to work at the Columbia Cellulose Pulp Mill. He worked his way up to a formans position in the Digestor Division of the plant. He worked there until he and Peggy decided to retire. Mel went to work at Granisle for nine years. He and his family worked on developing the golf course in the summer months. The course opened in 1977.
Mel and Peggy are survived by their son Sandy (Wendy); daughter Moira (Stanley) Lindaas; granddaughter Gina (Chris) Bialuski; great granddaughters Sage and Sadie; and grandson Sean Colonello.
A celebration of life service will be held on October 22, 2005 at 11 a.m. in the United Church for Peggy and Mel Forbes.